Monday, May 4, 2009

A little break before the defense

Well, what's up y'all?! I know it's been a while since I got my paws on the keyboard, but the Food Guy has been writing his comprehensive exams day and night for the last 3 months. So computer time has been hard to come by for this Yellow Dog. Well, Ok, maybe not day and night. We have had some good adventures here and there. We've gone to the mountains a few times and took a few trips to Charlotte to check on the Food Guy's dad. 

Food Guy turned his exams in last week, so he decided it was time for a little vacation. He decided to meet some friends and go to West Virginia to paddle for a few days. I didn't get to go though, which I wasn't too happy about. But the campground didn't allow dogs. It's OK though- A friend of the Food Guy who is about to head off for Marine Officer Candidate School stayed with me here in Athens. He did a good job of being alternate Food Guy. He took me for lots of walks! 

Anyway, the Food Guy finally finished all of the grading he should have done this weekend, so now I can get to the computer while he finishes cleaning all of his gear from the trip. While he's doing that, I'll fill ya in on the latest. 

Mostly, it's been pretty quiet. Food Guy defends his exams on Wednesday, so he's pretty focused on that right now. He did have a great trip to WVa though. He told me all about it. I wish  I could have gone it is pretty up there. See: 

He drove over to NC Thursday morning and jumped in the truck with Brian. Then they drove all day Thursday and got to the Cheat River at about 9 oclock. Friday morning they went up to PA and paddled part of the Yough. (I can't spell the rest of that word- it's a long one and I'm a smart dog but even I have my limits.) Then they headed back to WVa to chill at the camp. I heard it rained a lot up there. They didn't even get to paddle the Cheat.  But they did get to paddle the Big Sandy. Looks like fun, huh? Food Guy hasn't been kayaking much lately, so I'm glad they decided to paddle something easy. Wouldn't want him to get all busted up. I need somebody to take me on long hikes and runs on the trail! It looks like there were some great surf waves on that river. 


After they finished paddling, Food Guy and his friends went back to camp and ate some food. Man, think of all the food I could have gotten people to give me if I could have gone! I gotta make sure I get to go next time!
Next they went over to the Cheat River Festival. It sounds like it was a lot of fun. Food Guy said there was some great music at the festival on Saturday night. It was of the bluegrass variety, which is my favorite. I know, Reeve would say Food Guy and I are dirty hippies, but whatever! Anyway, check out this pic of the buildaround Food Guy saw at the river:

This is some high quality Appalachian workmanship. It's a singlewide, a camper, and a building. Crazy, huh?! I thought I'd seen some good stuff in NC, but this tops it all!

Well, that's about it for now. I'll be sure to let y'all know how the Food Guy does at his Comps Defense on Wednesday. He'd better pass. We can't afford for him to get booted out of school. Plus, he spent way too much time working on those papers to fail. I mean, we could have been out having some serious fun during all those hours he was working!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Happy to see you, Yellow Dog! Tell Food Guy good luck tomorrow.