Monday, August 10, 2015

The Draper Mile: A Blacksburg Tradition

Since we moved to Blacksburg last summer we've found no shortage of cool events. Last year, Ginger and I tried our feet (ha ha) at the Draper Mile. It's a one mile foot race that starts near our house and ends one excruciating mile later downtown at the Stepping Out Festival. We don't typically run in races that short because Ginger and I tend to favor longer distances where you can measure out your effort and enjoy the scenery of the woods (read: ultras). But, we like hanging out with friends and enjoying local traditions, so the Draper Mile has become a bit of a tradition. Last year was our introduction to the crazy race, and we had a a lot of fun. Ginger even placed in her Age Group last year. This year, she did even better!

Lois came into town for her now traditional Stepping Out Festival visit on Friday afternoon. It was great to see her and catch up before we headed downtown for the race. I left the house for a little warm up run around the neighborhood while Ginger and Lois parked the car downtown with some fresh clothes so we could enjoy the festival after the race. I met Ginger at the Start/Finish just before the race after she'd had a little warm up too.

The race was as painful as I expected it to be. My goal was to see how much time I could shave off from last year, and, hopefully, find my way onto the Age Group podium for a race. I lined up at the start and just took off running as fast I could. It was a little crazy with people getting their feet tangled up in front of me, but I managed to stay out of the chaos and work my way to the side of the road so I could have some room to maneuver. At just past the halfway point, I heard a volunteer calling out splits and I was somewhere around 2:40. My lungs were burning and my chest was really yelling at me: "What are you DOING?!!" it screamed while my legs protested. In true Jens Voigt fashion, I said, "Shut up, legs. Do what I tell you!" and pushed on with my face crinkled up in a mask of pain. I was, as the commentators on the Tour De France might say, unpacking my suitcase of courage all over the road. I was keeping my eye on Ryan, a quick guy from VT Ultra community, and just hoping to close the gap between us before I got the finish line.

I stopped my watch as I crossed the line at 5:16.

This was good for about 20 seconds faster than last year, and second in my Age Group. I'll take it.

Ginger's race (women's elite) went off about 5 minutes after my race did. So I had a couple of minutes to try to start catching my breath and then try to see her come across the finish line. I wasn't able to get to a good spot to see her finish, but I found her as she was walking away from the finish line after running an impressive 6:11!!!!
The girl is quick! Quick enough to be first in her AG. Yeah, she's awesome!




After catching up with Lois, Jordan, Kristen, Heather, and Ryan for a few minutes, Ginger and I did a little cool down jog before joining Lois for a slice of pizza from Benny's. So good!! If you haven't had some, don't sleep on it! Then we enjoyed an evening of walking around taking in the festival and catching up with Lois.

Saturday morning Ginger and I had a nice run on the Huck and then we went up to Floyd to see the Farmer's market and enjoy a little tourist time.

Sunday was another great day as we took Lois on one of our favorite hikes: The Cascades in Pembroke. I was so proud of Lois for making this tough hike look easy.

After the hike we went to the Palisades for brunch. If you haven't eaten brunch there, you'll want to remedy that ASAP. IT. IS. AMAZING. Naps were in order after brunch before we had a great dinner with Jordan and Kristen.

It was a great weekend. It's always nice to have family in town and hang out with friends. 

No comments: