Sunday, January 9, 2011

They Take Winter Serious Here

It's cold, y'all. For real cold. When the Food Guy and I woke up this morning it was -2. I'm not talking -2 with some wussy windchill temperature; I'm talking for real, ambient temperature. And, it was windy too. It warmed up to a balmy 7 by the time the Food Guy drank some coffee and took me for a walk around Ztown. On the good side, we have lots of snow. There's a drift behind the house that's as tall as my back. Most everywhere it comes up to my dog elbows.











I like playing in the snow. I spent about an hour this morning running around with my friend Daisy from across the street this morning while the Food Guy sorted out some firewood. We ran around jumping in the snow drifts and throwing snow up in the air with our noses- pretty good stuff.









Yesterday morning we woke up to about a foot of fresh snow, so the Food Guy decided it was time to put our sledding hill to the test with his new skis. He got some telemark skis so we can head out in the backcountry and get some exercise. The cool thing is that you can also ski downhill on them. Best of both worlds. Put skins on the skis and go uphill, and then take them off and you're ready for some cool downhill action.













I think he had a lot of fun. He must have liked it because he and Greg decided to go to the local ski hill last night for some nighttime skiing.













He said it was pretty cold up there, and I believed him after he showed me a picture of the weather station up there. It was 9 degrees, which I suppose isn't all that cold if you're just going outside to post up on a tree or something. But, if you're riding around a on a pair of skis for a few hours, I suppose it's pretty cold. Check out the 26 Knot winds that were kicking around up there.











We are supposed to get more snow tonight. Luckily, the Food Guy doesn't have class until Tuesday afternoon, so hopefully he won't have to have his class cancelled. Well, I actually would rather they cancelled classes so we could go play somewhere. But, I doubt he wants to start the semester by losing the first day of class. We'll see. Stay tuned for more adventures. You know we can't sit still for too long.

No comments: